What is an infrared sauna?
Unlike traditional saunas that use heat and humidity to heat the body, infrared sauna uses light. The light that the sun creates which heats the earth is the same light used to create heat in an infrared sauna. Resources are not wasted as in a traditional steam saunas, which use heat and humidity to warm the air. The dry infrared heat technology used at lumen studio means approximately 80% of the available heat is heating your body.
We live in a toxic environment today, where we are being bombarded with all sorts of heavy metals and pesticides that accumulate in our liver and kidneys, slowing down and inhibiting our natural detoxification processes. Our bodies use sweat to remove toxins from our skin and livers. Infrared technology helps clean out these toxins and improves our internal detoxification system. With regular use, our infrared sauna wraps will help draw out toxins at a deep cellular level where they accumulate. The detoxification is cumulative, and with an efficient system comes improved immunity, less illness, and an overall improvement in health and vitality.
Because about 80% of the heat will be going directly to heating your body and not the air around you, infrared heat is able to deeply penetrate muscle and joints. This allows for increased circulation and brings healing oxygen flow to the body, just like when you exercise.
Infrared sauna is now increasingly used by athletes for sports injuries and to simply decrease lactic acid after a vigorous workout. This type of sauna is also a great additional system to help with many forms of chronic pain. Studies have shown that infrared sauna can relieve pain by increasing circulation and helping with inflammation.
One of the most popular benefits of infrared heat therapy is weight loss. Clinical research has supported the weight loss benefits derived from using immersive far infrared therapy as delivered by the Infrared sauna wrap used at lumen studio.
When your core temperature increases it raises your heart rate, which is the same result you get when you exercise. Your body has to work harder to lower its temperature and also to keep up with an increased heart rate; this results in weight loss as your body burns more calories. Sweating consumes calories and a Infrared sauna wrap session can induce 3-5 times more sweat than exercise alone, burning up to 600 calories in a single session. Infrared technology can also rebalance metabolism directly by speeding up the rate that calories are burned, even after a session.
Ultimately weight loss, from any program, is achieved from revving up your metabolism and having a balanced diet. Your infrared sauna experience with its cumulative effects can enhance your overall health plan.
Infrared sauna with its powerful heating penetration abilities helps to soothe body pain. The pain relief is immediate with therapeutic benefits through increased blood flow and tissue oxygenation.
Clinical research has established that an infrared treatment can substantially increase nutrient and oxygen rich blood flow, which can help heal the body and relieve pain.
Infrared heat is also known to act directly on irritated nerve endings, producing a reduction in pain level in chronic pain patients, even after one infrared therapy session.
What to expect from your infrared sauna experience at Natural Waist Detox
- If this is your first appointment, please arrive at least 10-15 minutes early
- Clothing is required. We recommend wearing loose, light sweatpants, a long-sleeve cotton t-shirt, and socks. You will also want to bring a change of clothing if you arrive in the clothes that you will sweat in. If you prefer (or forget your sweating clothes), we offer a body suit.
- Please visit the restroom prior to your start time so that your session won’t be interrupted
- Leading up to your sauna, you should ensure you are hydrated by drinking plenty of room temperature water (16 oz)
- You will be asked to remove all jewelry before using the infrared sauna wrap
- For the best experience it is recommended to have something light in your stomach, but not to use the sauna following a heavy meal
- The infrared sauna wrap uses safe and effective radiant heat just like the suns soothing warmth. If you have any of the following conditions or have concerns you should consult with your physician before use.
- Adrenal Suppression
- Systemic Lupis Erythematosus
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Prescription drugs that may interact with Infrared Energy
- Recent joint injury
- Infections of the body or the mouth
- Pregnancy / Breast Feeding
- Pain associated with surgical implants such as rods, pins or joints
- Silicone prostheses, or implants
- You will be shown to your private cubicle where you will have 5 minutes to prepare and change into your sweating clothes.
- An attendant will show you how the infared sauna wrap works. You will enter into the body wrap and make sure the edges are tightly sealed around your body.
- There are 4 temperature zones that can be adjusted for your comfort at any time during your session. You can use external arm wraps or have your arms inside the bags depending on your preference.
- You may use your phone or other entertainment devices; however we ask that you refrain from talking on your phone for the enjoyment of other clients. We have tablets that you can borrow for the duration of your sauna experience if you want to stream something to watch or listen to. Please ensure these are returned afterwards.
- If for any reason you feel discomfort you can stop your session at any time and leave the infrared sauna wrap
- During your session, please drink as much water as needed to stay hydrated. We will have bottled water available however feel free to bring your own water bottle.
- Relax and enjoy your session. Your infrared sauna wrap will last 50 minutes
- The system will turn itself off automatically after 50 minutes and you can exit the sauna wrap
- If you chose to use the body suit you can dispose of it in the receptacle provided. There are towel and wipes provide to dry yourself and you have a 5 minute window to dress and exit your suite. We appreciate your cooperation with this timing so the room can be cleaned for the next client.
- It is recommended to not shower after as you will continue with the benefits of the sauna for 30-60 minutes after exiting. However, if you do need to take a shower a fully stocked shower facility is available for a $5.00 charge. Please let the attendant know in advance if this is something you would like to use.
- Remember to drink plenty of water following your session to remain hydrated and allow your body to continue to flush metabolized fats and toxins.
- Don’t forget to book your next session! You can enjoy the benefits of an infrared sauna wrap as often as every 2-3 days depending on your general fitness level
What will the experience be like?
The infrared sauna wrap controller allows for complete customization during your sauna session. Duration and temperature can be controlled for 4 separate zones, allowing for superior comfort and effectiveness.
When you enter your private sauna room you will change into your sweating clothes. Clothing is required and you should wear loose, comfortable, absorbent skin-covering clothes. Light sweat pants, a long cotton tee-shirt and socks are ideal. If you prefer or forget your sweating clothes, body suit . Please note that you will want to bring something to change into after your session.
- It’s good to have a little something in your stomach before you sweat – something light is better than a heavy meal.
- Hydration is critical! Your body functions optimally when it has enough water and will use water to flush out toxins, so the more fluid you have the more you’ll be able to flush them out. You’ll also want to continue to hydrate during and after your sweat. Hydration will keep you feeling vibrant and revitalized.
How long will the session last?
To optimize your body’s ability to have the best sweat, your infrared sauna wrap will last 50 minutes. You are given an additional 10 minutes to accommodate your time before and after your sauna.
What is your cancellation policy?
If you need to reschedule we ask that you provide 24 hours notice. You can do this online or phone at 242-565-7990. Late minute cancellations may result in cancellation charges so please contact us as soon as possible.
What if I’m running late?
If you know that you’ll be late for your appointment please call us at 242 565-7990. We will do our best to work with you to find accommodations that work for you as well as our other clients.
How often can I sweat?
Infrared sauna wraps can be used as often as every second day, and as the results are cumulative regular use may be beneficial. We have a monthly membership package that helps make that an affordable option. For those who are relatively physically inactive, 3 days between sessions is recommended. Continued hydration is important if you opt to enjoy our infrared sauna wrap regularly.
Should I shower after my session?
Showering immediately after your session is not recommended. Your body will continue to experience the benefits of the sauna for 30-60 minutes after exiting, due to your amped up metabolism which will result in further detoxification. However, if you do need to take a shower a fully stocked shower facility is for a $5.00 charge. Please let the attendant know in advance if this is something you would like to use. Generally, it is recommended that you wait 1-2 hours before showering after your infrared sauna session.